Text Resize
Subsribe to RSS Feed

Friday June 22, 2018

Savvy Living

Savvy Senior

Tips for Living with Low Vision

What resources can you recommend to help individuals living with vision loss? My husband has macular degeneration that has progressed to the point that he is unable to perform many of his routine activities anymore, and has become very discouraged.

Unfortunately, there are around 15 million Americans, like your husband, living with macular degeneration. Over time, this progressive disease can rob people of their central vision, making everyday tasks, like driving a car, reading the newspaper or watching television, extremely challenging. Here are some resources that may help.

Low Vision Help

The best place to get resources for living and coping with macular degeneration is at a vision rehabilitation agency or clinic. Typically run by state agencies, nonprofit organizations or private eye care clinics, there are more than 1,500 of these services scattered across the country helping people who are living with all types of uncorrectable vision impairments. Most state and nonprofit vision rehabilitation services are free or low-cost, while private clinics typically charge a fee or may accept Medicare.

While vision rehabilitation does not restore lost eyesight, it may help people maximize their existing eyesight. If an individual has completely lost his or her vision, these services can provide techniques and tools to help maintain an independent lifestyle.

Vision rehabilitations services often provide counseling, support groups and various training programs. The training programs may include instruction on how to perform daily living tasks with low vision and how to use visual and adaptive devices and assistive technologies to help improve quality of life.

These services also offer guidance on how to make a home safer and easier to maneuver for those with vision impairments. Some agencies will send a specialist out to work with people in the comfort of their own homes.

To find a vision rehabilitation service in your area, call the American Foundation for the Blind referral line at 800-232-5463 or visit the VisionAware website. You can also download the VisionAware app to connect to various types of low-vision resources in your area.

If, however, you do not live near a vision rehabilitation service, you can also get help from an occupational therapist (OT), who can provide low vision training in your home. Medicare, if prescribed by your eye doctor or healthcare provider, may provide coverage.

Online Help

Another convenient place to find help for your husband is the VisionAware website. This is a free website designed to help adults who are losing their vision. It provides information on eye conditions, along with dozens of practical tips and instructional videos on living with vision loss. The topics include ideas on adapting your home to make it easier to navigate, techniques for traveling safely outside the home and various tips on how to manage things like finances, medications and other tasks like cooking, cleaning, grooming, reading and writing. It also offers a comprehensive list of low vision products and technologies that can help those who suffer from vision loss stay active and independent. It also includes product reviews that are published in their online magazine, "AccessWorld."

Other Resources

Some other good resources that can help include: the Hadley Institute (800-323-4238), which offers dozens of free online instructional videos to help the blind or visually impaired live independently; Ears for Eyes (800-843-6816) that provides free audio lessons that teach low-vision adaptive daily living skills; and Living Well with Low Vision (800-331-2020), which offers up-to-date information and free materials for people living with severe vision impairment.

Savvy Living is written by Jim Miller, a regular contributor to the NBC Today Show and author of "The Savvy Living” book. Any links in this article are offered as a service and there is no endorsement of any product. These articles are offered as a helpful and informative service to our friends and may not always reflect this organization’s official position on some topics. Jim invites you to send your senior questions to: Savvy Living, P.O. Box 5443, Norman, OK 73070.

Published June 15, 2018
Subsribe to RSS Feed

Previous Articles

How to Make a Living Will

How to Find Retiree Travel Perks

'Extra Help' Program Helps with Medication Costs

How to Choose a Good Estate Sale Company

New Shingles Vaccine Provides Better Protection


Gift Options

What to Give
Find out what to give and learn about the best assets to make a planned gift.
How To Give
Giving to our cause can be done either directly or through a gift model that can provide tax benefits and even income.
Planned Gifts Cacluator
These presentations show the income and tax benefits for you.
Donor Stories
Learn how others have made an impact through their acts of giving to our organization and others. Explore the many benefits of charitable gift planning.

Create Your Plan

Learn About Wills and Trusts
Help plan for your family and loved ones with a will or living trust.
Bequest Language
View some helpful language commonly used on bequests.
Request an Estate Planning Guide
We would like to send you a FREE Estate Planning Guide.


Personal Planner
How to Give Property to Children
Parents have a number of reasons for making gifts to children. First, a parent should have sufficient resources for retirement and for long-term care needs before making substantial gifts. Once you...
Savvy Living
Tips for Living with Low Vision
What resources can you recommend to help individuals living with vision loss? My husband has macular degeneration that has progressed to the point that he is unable to perform many of his routine...
Washington news
Updating Your Estimated Tax Payments
With passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, most Americans will experience a change in the amount of tax due. Many taxpayers will have lower taxes due to the higher standard deduction and increased...

For Advisors

We have a complete tax update service for CPAs, attorneys, CLUs, CFPs, ChFCs, trust officers and other professional friends. The GiftLaw services are made available to all advisors as a free service. We are available to assist in helping you provide clients with clear and understandable gift illustrations.